Costa Rican View

Costa Rican View

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Awkwardly blogging after neglecting to for nearly a year.

 TL;DR (Stands for: Too long, didn't read. Basically a synopsis of the blog post): I'm doing fine in Costa Rica. Sorry I haven't posted in nearly a year. I've done some stuff since my last post, and I will be visiting for Christmas.




So, hey people at home (or whoever is reading this).

I meant to keep the blog going throughout my service. I really did. But social media (facebook mainly) and being able to call the US for free (use Google hangouts. seriously it's FREE) have sort of made it easy for me to neglect my blogging duties. So after 11 months or so of not formally blogging my life in Costa Rica, here it is.

Just a recap of major events (some personal, some project-related) have happened since my last blog:


-Moved into my own place! Well, it's attached to another house, but I'm basically living on my own. I have definitely missed living with my host family and am grateful for everything they have done for me, but am also glad to have been able to give my host brother his old room back, and have my own space. I still visit them from time to time mainly because they are wonderful people and wouldn't trade them for any other host family.


The kids at Jumpstart Laurel English Camp 2015 (January)
 
-Successfully implemented and facilitated a month long English Camp for 6th graders called JumpStart! One of my most rewarding projects yet. The kids really seemed to enjoy it, and seem to be ahead of the game now that they have started high school (starts in 7th grade here).

 A few Tico 27ers and I at Playa Uvita celebrating 1 year in-country (March 2015)



-Traveled and experienced many different sides of Costa Rica! In the past 11 months or so I've been able to help other volunteers with cool projects, see many beaches, try different foods, hike a bit, and experience different cultures that make up this unique country. Costa Rica, for a tiny tiny country, is made up of a ridiculous amount of biodiversity and micro climates which makes traveling to very different parts of this place pretty easy (even from the little corner of nowhere where I live).




Volcan Arenal on a clear morning (left) and when we made it to the top of a near by trail when it was not so clear (right) [May 2015]

And those have been the major things worth mentioning. There are still the daily tasks of going to various meetings, attempting to find eager people to help with my park project, helping out in the escuela, tutoring students, among other things. I've been somewhat busy, for which I'm thankful for. It's made missing home and all of you not as difficult as it could be.

But this really hasn't been easy. Not to be too negative, but it has been hard missing so many important events in peoples' lives and I wish I could be there for all of them, especially the birth of my nephew Corbett. He's gonna be huge by the time I get to see him (already looks enormous in his pictures) and I can't wait to meet him. BUT, I will be coming home to visit for Christmas! I miss everyone back home and I am thankful for the support over the past year and a half. Hope to see you all in 3 months or so.



Until next time,

Tyler



PS:
Apologies for the tortuous post, but it's sort of hard to focus while trying to cover nearly a year's worth of things unsaid.



14 comments:

  1. Your post is very and important organization helping many childrens no interest any that is more important and I'm sure they are grateful.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it very interesting. The enormous effort douglas takes to continue his project to help others. I find it amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it very interesting. The enormous effort douglas takes to continue his project to help others. I find it amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blog is ver y interesting because it talks about the great opportuny to have people like the Peace Corps that are wonderful and also highlight the good in Costa Rica, especially biodiversity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is very beautiful because Douglas is good teacher and we help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blog is nice and beautiful because, he talks about our culture and different topics.For me his themes are very important

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is very interesting because it is a project that helps the educational development of the people, Exelent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is very interesting, because his blog speak about of topics very important of Costa Rica and peace corps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is very interesting, because his blog speak about of topics very important of Costa Rica and peace corps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Costa Rica is the most Beautiful country in the world I love my country,
    many international tourist prefer visit Costa Rica, because there is much nature.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The blog is very interesting, because many ticos say "mae". Costa Rica has beautiful nature. People are friendly. ~FM

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tyler,

    Sorry to bother you.  My name is Ray Blakney and I am an RPCV from Mexico Look as though Costa Rica treated you well. I am working on a 3rd goal project with the PC regional offices and the main office in DC to try to create an online archive to keep the language training material made all over the world from getting lost.  I have created a sub-section on the website my wife and I run Live Lingua with all the information I have been able to get to date (from over the web and sent to me directly by PC staff and PCV's).  I currently have close to 100 languages with ebooks, audios, and even some videos. 
     
    The next step for this project is that I am trying to get the word out about this resource so that it can not only be used by PCV's or those accepted into the Peace Corps, but also so that when people run across material that is not on the site they can send it to me and I can get it up for everybody to use.  I was hoping that you could help getting the word out by putting a link on this on your site here, so that people know it is there.  There should be something there for almost everybody.  It is all 100% free to use and share.  Here is the specific page to what we call the Live Lingua Project:


    http://www.livelingua.com/project/

    Thanks for any help you can provide in making this 3rd goal project a success.   And if anybody in your group has some old material they can scan or already have in digital form, and want to add to the archive, please don't hesitate to pass them my email.  Thanks and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete