Costa Rican View

Costa Rican View

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Retreat y San Rafael

Hola a Todos!

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, and this one may not make total sense because I am completely drained from our Tico 27 retreat in San Jose this past week, and meeting my family today (and half of their extended family,which was still around 25 people, at a birthday party as soon as I arrived at their house).

Starting at staging in Dallas, TX, (and into the retreat) I met and have gotten to know 41 of the most awesome people on Earth. I am really not sure how lucky I am to have other volunteers in my group that are some of the most genuine, friendly, and open people I've ever met. The past week has been a blur of icebreakers and endless information about safety, espanol, etc. Although it was extremely exhausting, I was sad to leave the entire group when we moved into our training areas today.
                                 
                                         Tico 27 (Me and my giant sunglasses are on the right)

As soon as I arrived into San Rafael (the town where my small group is), mi familia met me at the bus stop, took me to their home and we proceeded to go to one of their niece's birthday party in which I was overwhelmed with smiling faces and (unfimilar) spanish words and phrases. Although tiring, it was a great time and good to meet some of my family.

A bit more about my host family - my father, Adrian, is very nice and amable, and thank goodness he is patient with my Spanish. My mother, Adriana (yep Adrian and Adriana) is super sweet and really wants me to understand everything she is trying to convey, so I am thankful for that as well. Also they have two sons - (Jesus - 14, and Adrian - 10) who are really really nice and hilarious. I really lucked out with my family.


I am definitely feeling a bit of culture shock, but I'm sure that will wear off eventually. I will try to post more often as more things happen, but until then, Pura Vida!


                                            (The view from the retreat site in San Jose, CR)






PS- If you want to mail me a letter or a care package with delicious american snacks, here is my address for the next 3 months.

Tyler Dickerson
Cuerpo de Paz
PO Box 1266-1000
San Jose, Costa Rica

2 comments:

  1. Love u!!!!! I'll send stuff! Any requests?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi..Tyler. ..Happy that everything is going well thus far...Enjoy CR.....your chocolate sista...Betsy

    ReplyDelete